Thursday, January 29, 2009

Envi: The Boston eco-friendly fashion boutique and my new Kim White bag made from Mustang seat fabric

On our trip to Boston last weekend, my friend Susan and I attempted to give the economy a little boost with a shopping trip to Newbury Street, the street that our concierge described as the Rodeo Drive of Boston. Now, a shopping trip is a bit of a conundrum when you are trying to be environmentally responsible. 

I was excited when I found Envi, an eco-friendly fashion boutique. The clothes were fabulous, and when we were there a week ago everything in the store was 50% off except the jewelry. I didn't buy any clothes because I'm currently successfully losing weight, and I didn't want to buy anything that I wouldn't be able to keep for years. If the timing was right, I would have walked away with this dress.

I did buy a great Kim White little clutch bag. All of her handbags are designed from textiles intended for use in American automobiles from the 70's and 80's. My bag is from fabric made for a 1978 Ford Mustang. 
Kim White uses dead stock never-used textiles intended for use in American automobiles: cars, trucks and vans. She fortuitously unearthed an entire warehouse of automotive fabric, which may be the last existing stock anywhere in the US, and she is the sole owner of these amazing textiles.
Each Kim White Handbag is tagged with the year and make of the fabric, so you know exactly what car your bag comes from (i.e. 1983 Camaro or a 1978 Ford Mustang). Kim White Handbags specializes in automotive fabrics from the 1970’s and 1980’s, when color was de rigueur in the automotive industry.
If you read this blog regularly, you'll know I'm not all about boutiques (eco-friendly or not) and high fashion. But every once in a while, it's fun to check out what's out there and get something new. 
Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great read for me. Looking forward to reading new article on Fashion