Thursday, August 6, 2009

Thank you John Hughes

If we are the sum of our experiences, then a lot of what adds up to make me me has to do with John Hughes movies. 16 Candles, The Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, even Weird Science - these are the movies I came of age with. There have been no movies like them since.

I remember I was crushed when the boy who took me to see The Breakfast Club told me that I reminded him of the Ally Sheedy character. Even though I knew he was right, I didn't want him to be. I so wanted him to see me as the Molly Ringwald character - pretty and together.

That was one of the things about John Hughes' movies. We all saw ourselves in his characters - we saw who we were, who we weren't, and who we wanted to be.

Those of us who grew up in the '80's look back and make fun of a lot of the pop culture of the time. The clothes, the hair, the music. But I don't know anyone who makes fun of the John Hughes films. They might contain the clothes, the hair and the music, but the characters and their conflicts are timeless.

Thank you, John Hughes. May you rest in peace.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

5 comments:

Sandie said...

I too was in high school during the John Hughes movie era, and could always identify with Molly Ringwald's Sixteen Candles' character. To this day I enjoy his films---some of the few from the 80's my kids will sit through (& enjoy).

balmeras said...

Amazing how movies from our youth stick with us. I wonder if the teen movies they make today will resonate years later with their audiences. I will always love Jake Ryan, and am still waiting for him to bring me a birthday cake. Of course, I totally dated the Judd Nelson type, but that doesn't mean I didn't want my Jake Ryan. Swoon! Thanks for the thoughtful post, Robin. - Bethe

Alison Kerr said...

I've not seen any of these movies - it shows me that not only did I grow up in another country, but I'm also, well, older. I spent my time at the movies watching Star Wars, Superman, Jaws, E.T., 2001 A Space Odyssey, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, and Pink Floyd The Wall.

Robin Shreeves said...

Sandie - I'm glad your kids enjoy the movies. He really had a way of capturing the timeless teen struggle.

Balmeras - I don't know if there are any movies that resonate with kids today like Hughes'. My husband works with our church youth group and I know those kids love the Hughes movies. There's a movie out right now called I Love You Beth Cooper (or something like that) that seems to be in the Hughes genre, but who knows if it will stand the test of time like The Breakfast Club has.

Alison - you need to see these films. I recommend you start with Ferris Bueller's Day Off because even though the characters are teens, the theme is universal. Then move on to the Molly Ringwald trio - Sixteen Candles, The Breakfast Club and Pretty in Pink. You'll be glad you did.

Alison Kerr said...

OK Robin, I'm making a mental note to myself to see Ferris Bueller's Day Off.