Wednesday, September 26, 2007

A Socially Conscious Christmas

Yes, I know it's still September, but I bought my first Christmas gifts the other day and now this is on my mind.

Every year I buy all of our brothers, sisters, and their spouses something from William and Sonoma for Christmas. Something fun that you probably would never pick up for yourself. But this year I'm going to try to do something a little different. I'm going to try to find gifts that not only will be enjoyed by the recipients but will make a difference in someone else's life, too.

We've got a big family and we buy a lot of gifts at Christmas. We don't spend a whole heck of a lot of money, but I figure what we do spend might as well do some good, right? I got the idea the other night at church when I bought some gifts for my neices that were made by some women in Uganda. The proceeds from the sale will help to pay for a Ugandan man who needs medical help to be flown to the U.S. to be treated by a doctor who is volunteering his services.

So now I'm on the hunt for socially conscious Christmas gifts. One site I've already explored is buildanest.com. It's a non-profit that makes small loans to women who need to buy supplies so they can create things and sell them. They lend to women all over the world and the woman can pay them back with products that they made that are then sold on the website. There is some great jewelery. I love the whole idea of buildanest.

I've just started coming up with ideas for socially conscious Christmas presents. I'll post more as I find them. I'd love some of your ideas. Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: