Friday, May 16, 2008

Ride Your Bike To Work to Save a Polar Bear


Today there are two national eco-type days.

It is National Ride Your Bike to Work Day (which comes conveniently at the end of Ride Your Bike to Work Week).


This week, the Interior Department officially declared that polar bears are an endangered species. They said that the loss of Arctic Sea ice will likely result in two-thirds of the polar bears disappearing by mid-century. This seems to be putting them on the fast track to extinction.

I don't talk much about global warming on this site for several reasons. The main reason is because I don't believe I understand enough about it to whole heartedly say I believe in it. I'm not saying that I don't believe in it either. I just know I'm not informed enough to have a definite opinion.

I don't think it matters whether I do believe in it or not, though. I do believe that we are polluting this world and not taking care of it the way that we should. I'm trying to live a green lifestyle because of that.

Doing things like bicycling or walking instead of driving whenever possible is one way to curb pollution. There's a chance that it will also help to save the endangered polar bears, too.

I don't have to bike to work because I work in the room next to my bedroom. However, I do have children to take to school. I'd love to bike there with them, but for some stupid reason, the school doesn't permit kids to ride their bikes and leave them locked in the bike rack that is at the school. So even if we biked there, I'd have a problem getting their bikes home. So we walk as often as possible. 

Can you bike or walk to work? If not, can you take public transportation? Are there other places that you frequent that you could bike or walk to? 

I truly believe that every little bit helps. They add up to lots of little bits, and if my lots of little bits help the polar bears, too, then I'm glad to help.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: