Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sweet Potato Fries for First Thursdays at Thursday Night Smackdown

Last month, I told you about Thursday Night Smackdown, a cooking blog that I like to read. On First Thursdays of the month, Michelle issues a challenge to cook something new you've never cooked before. This month, she challenged us to cook something orange. After brainstorming with my boys about orange foods, we decided we would try to make sweet potato fries.

I used a recipe from Giada DeLaurentiis from the Food Network site - Sweet Potato Fries with Basil Salt and Garlic Mayonnaise. Very easy - just cut up the sweet potatoes, toss them in some olive oil, and bake them in the oven. I baked them a little too long - a few were unedible, but those that we were able to eat were very tasty. The basil salt and garlic mayonnaise were very tasty, too.

I served them with southern pulled pork sandwiches topped with cole slaw. I had some pulled pork left in the freezer that I had made a while ago, and I thought it would be a good match with the fries. It was.

The boys weren't so crazy about the fries. I think they were just expecting them to taste like french fries that were orange colored. They were happy, though, because they convinced me to buy orange soda (which I bought in cans because cans are more eco-friendly than plastic) to have with our orange fries.  

I'm enjoying these First Thursday challenges - although I try new recipes frequently, giving me a category is going to help me try recipes that I wouldn't automatically choose. I probably would have never made my own sweet potato fries if it weren't for this challenge. So thanks, Michelle.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: