Wednesday, March 4, 2009

My Hobo (not) Monday creation

I was all set to cook something for Thursday Night Smackdown's Hobo Monday on Monday when our good friend showed up at our front door with two pizzas. So Hobo Monday became Free Pizza Monday. Tuesday night I warmed up soup and bread after the boys and I got back from sledding. 

I asked Michelle via the comments on her blog if Hobo Monday could be Hobo another night, but she hasn't responded. So I asked myself, "What would Michelle do?" And it occurred to me that Michelle would probably say 
"Rules are for sissies." Only she'd probably throw a good few drunken sailor curse words in there for good measure. 

So here's my Hobo Monday creation, made on a regular Wednesday night. I actually combined the requirements for Hobo Monday (dinner under $10 for the four of us) with digging in the pantry/fridge and came up with my first ever stir fry. 

  • Stir fry beef I got on manager's special weeks ago for $1.71 (love manager's specials on meats)
  • 1 1/2 cups of organic brown basmati rice I had in the pantry - $1.50
  • Various veggies I had in the crisper that needed to be used - baby carrots, sugar snap peas, zucchini and an onion - I'm going to guess about $3.00 worth of veggies.
  • A stir fry sauce made of water, soy sauce, corn starch and sugar - guessing $.50
For under $7.00, I made dinner for the four of us with leftovers for lunch tomorrow. The boys actually ate it, too. Happily. I also created it from stuff that I had. I didn't go out and get new groceries. Nice.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: