What's so great about picking your own fruits and vegetables from a nearby farm. I'll tell ya.
- It's cheaper. Way cheaper. I can get pounds of strawberries for about half the price of going into the little market right on the farm and buying them already picked.
- Zero waste. You can take your own containers to pick in. My kids take beach buckets.
- You get the freshest, best tasting produce. You can pick food that is perfectly ripe and eat it that day.
- It's educational. You and your kids (if you have them) can learn things (see my post last year on Lessons Learned in the Strawberry Patch)
- You'll support small farmers. It's not the big, agribusiness farms that invite locals to come pick. It's the small, family owned farms. They need our support.
- It's fun.
- It's good exercise.
- You can take awesome photos of your family and friends while picking. Really, every year, I get the best pictures. I'm really tempted to post one, but I don't use my kids' faces on my blog.