New feature here at A Little Greener Every Day. Tuesdays will now be 10 Easy Ways to be More Sustainable ... days (at least until I run out of ideas). We start today with:
Ten Easy Ways to Be More Sustainable in Your Kitchen
- Take a light bulb or two out of your overhead light fixture - if it has 3 or 4 bulbs in it, remove one or two and you'll use less electricity (thanks Sunny for this idea!).
- Use your toaster oven instead of the oven if possible.
- Save the water from cooking vegetables/pasta to water your plants.
- Switch to all natural, biodegradable dish soap.
- Hide the paper towels and use rags to clean up your messes.
- Eat your leftovers.
- Get a counter top composter and compost your fruit and vegetable scraps.
- Keep a pitcher of tap water in the refrigerator to have cold drinking water on hand instead of running the faucet till it's cold or drinking bottled water.
- Save the plastic bags from bread, veggies, the inside of cereal boxes and other things to be reused before they hit the trash.
- Unplug appliances like the toaster oven, coffee maker, and microwave when not in use. \ (yes, I know it will mess up the clocks on some of them - you can deal with it, I know you can.)
See - easy. Tell me about your easy ways to be more sustainable in your kitchen.