Friday, September 12, 2008

Who Else Fights the Urge to Buy?

Yesterday, I wrote about the new 4th generation iPod Nano in Apple Reveals "Cleaner" iPod, Removes Toxins and Reduces Packaging. In iPod years, my Nano is ancient - it doesn't even show video. But I've resisted the urge to buy a new one because the one I have is still perfectly sufficient.

It's perfectly sufficient. Wow. Makes you want one just like mine, doesn't it. It's not cool. It's not hip. It's not modern or up to date. It's simply perfectly sufficient.

It's hard to resist the urge to buy something new - to upgrade an older model of something you have that is perfectly sufficient. I spent the summer being, in my own terms, "decidedly nonconsumerist." I didn't buy new clothes for my anniversary trip to Ireland. I didn't buy a new bathing suit or new beach towels. When I spilled sunscreen in my pool bag and couldn't get the smell out, I sucked it up. I plan on using the bag next year, too.

But now the kids are in school. I'm working from home and I have a little free time and I feel the stores calling me, taunting me. 

"We miss you, Robin." 
"Are you really going to wear that same shirt AGAIN? Your husband is going to get sick of looking at you in it."
"Your friend's wedding is next weekend. No one would blame you for getting something new."
"The new iPods are greener. You're all about greener. It's okay. Get one."

Welcome to the world inside my head.

I'm not saying I'm never going to buy anything ever again. In fact, I'm thinking of heading to some thrift stores next week and seeing if I can pick up something to wear for my friend's wedding. But if I don't find anything in the thrift stores, will I be able to be content with something that is already in my closet or will I give in to the voices in my head.

How do you resist the urge to buy something when you already have something that is perfectly sufficient? Really. I want to know. I'm looking for some brilliant advice here!
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: