Thursday, March 6, 2008

A Green Alternative to Antibacterial Hand Washing: CleanWell Products


Traditional antibacterial hand soaps and sanitizers can contain some pretty harmful chemicals. The main ingredient in many hand (and dish) soaps that are antibacterial is triclosan, a highly toxic chemical. The main ingredient in hand sanitizers is often ethyl alcohol. Children have been known to be taken to the hospital with alcohol poisoning after licking it off of their hands.

There are safe, green alternatives to these harmful products, however. One company that manufactures safe antibacterial hand cleaning products is CleanWell. In the interest of full disclosure, I will tell you that this company sent me their products for review. However,  I am under no obligation to give them a good review (they are not paying me), and if I hadn't liked the products I would have contacted them and told them I was unable to give them a favorable review.

Here's one of the products I was sent that my family has been using for over a week. I've also been asking guests and relatives to use the products and to smell them.

CleanWell All Natural Antibacterial Hand Wash 

The info from the company:
  • lab proven to kill 99.99% of germs (including MRSA, E. Coli and Salmonella) on contact
  • all natural and triclosan free
  • made with ingenium (there own  patented formula of essential plant oil) and infused with white tea and aloe
  • sustainable
  • certified cruelty-free
  • comes in ginger bergamot (which is what I tried), orange vanilla, or lavender absolute

My take:

The first thing I noticed was the scent - ginger bergamot is different for hand soap. It wasn't bad though. And, this is very important, I could tell the scent was all natural before I even looked at the ingredients. Why? Because it didn't attack my sinuses and threaten to bring on a full grain migraine in five seconds. Chemical fragrances wreak havoc on me. 

The foaming soap leaves hands feeling clean and soft. 

My younger son and my adult niece love the smell. My niece is quite excited about it actually. My oldest son is not too crazy about the smell. I'm going to try the lavender absolute soap next. I think he'll like that better.

I'm very happy to be able to find hand cleaning products that are safe and effective for my family. I am just beginning to green all of my personal care products and household cleaning products (remember I'm getting a little greener every day - not jumping into the whole thing at once). CleanWell products are going to help me reach my goal of making my family's personal care products safe and green.

Tomorrow, I'll review the CleanWell All Natural Antibacterial Hand Santizer.

If you have any questions about the products, leave a comment and I'll do my best to answer it.


Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: