Thursday, March 13, 2008

World Water Day Walk for Water

A few days ago I blogged about the prescription drugs that are contaminating the water in the U.S. It certainly is a problem that needs to be addressed. But compared to the water that many people in developing nations need to use every day for drinking, bathing, cooking and sanitation, the water available to me and my family in the U.S. is fabulous. 

On Saturday, March 22nd, I (and the rest if of my family if I can talk them into it) will be participating in the World Water Day Walk for Water with others from my church. It's estimated that women in many developing countries have to walk an average of 1.5 miles a day just to get water for their families, and the water that they do get is often of very poor quality. 

What does this have to do with being green? Lots.

This water crisis is due in part to the changing global climate. Whether you believe that the reasons behind the changing climate have to do with global warming or not, the fact is that things are changing. 

The water crisis is causing a health crisis. It kills as many as 5000 children a day. The people faced with this crisis spend much of their time seeking out water. Girls often have to forgo an education just to collect water for their families to survive. All of this focus on water leaves these people with little time to devote to the other environmental problems that their countries face. It's not their fault. They need water to live. 

But even if this had nothing to do with being green, it's something I would do. I believe in being green for two reasons. One is because I want the environment to be a nurturing place for my children and their children. The other is because I believe in creation care. God created this planet and expects us to care for it. But he also created people and expects us to care for them whether they live in our neighborhood or half way around the world. This is one way I can help care for those half way around the world. 

The money raised from this walk will be donated to WaterAid, an organization which does great things to help people in developing nations get clean, safe water and maintain their sources of water. If you're interested in sponsoring me on my walk, please e-mail me.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: