Friday, March 7, 2008

A Green Alternative to Antibacterial Hand Washing: CleanWell Products, Day 2


Yesterday, I reviewed the hand soap that
CleanWell products asked me to review for them. They also sent me a second product, their all natural hand sanitizer which comes in both a spray and individual wipes.

A while ago I got one of those alarming mass e-mails warning that hand sanitizers have the potential to poison children if ingested.  Unlike 99% of those stupid e-mails, this one turned out to be true (according to Snopes). Children who lick enough off of their hands or drink from the container can get alcohol poisoning. It's not just children. I also recently read about an inmate somewhere (who apparently had a substantial substance abuse problem) who drank it to get intoxicated. These products have a really nasty taste, but that doesn't always deter everyone.

So an all natural hand sanitizer that contains no ethyl alcohol (which is the main ingredient in regular santizers), caught my attention. Here's some information it.

CleanWell All Natural Antibacterial Hand Sanitzer

The info from the company:

  • kills 99.99% of erms including MRSA, E. Coli, and Salmonella
  • all natural ingredients
  • alcohol free
  • non toxic chemicals
  • safe for kids
  • 4x more uses per oz. than alcohol gels
  • safe for sensitive skin
  • biodegradable
  • certified cruelty free
  • active ingredient: thymus vulgaris oil (the essential oil in common thyme)
  • scent: citris herb

my take:

Just like the hand soap, the first thing you notice with this is the scent. Interestingly, the first thing all of the children whose noses I stuffed it under smelled was the citrus. They would either say they smelled lime or lemon. All of the adults noticed the herb - the tyme or oregano, which is also in it.

It smells good, but not what you expect for something that is essentially a cleaning product. Most of the people liked it, but again, my oldest son didn't like it and neither did my mom. I like it, but honestly, smelling it makes me want to bake a lasagna. 

Even though the scent is unexpected, I have gotten used to it. I suppose that as I switch from the chemical laden products that I am used to with their artificial fragrances, I'm going to have to adapt to natural scents. That seems backwards, doesn't it? But it's good.

I also like the way the CleanWell hand sanitizer feels on my hand. It goes on thinly and absorbs into my skin quickly. I've never liked the feel of the alcohol gels. 

So there you have it, my first product reviews. 

Again, if you have any questions, leave a comment.




Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: