Friday, August 29, 2008

Preview of the Premiere of Bill Nye's Stuff Happens

Complain and ye shall receive. 

The other day I wrote about how I was excited for the return of Stuff Happens, the environmental show hosted by Bill Nye the Science Guy, but the first show that was being aired was a rerun of the only one that has ever been aired. 

Planet Green is airing an all new episode of Stuff Happens next Tuesday night, and after I complained about having to wait a week to see, I was sent a sneak peak DVD by Reenie over at Planet Green. How cool is that?

I just finished watching the DVD with my 9-year-old and my husband. The episode, on bathrooms, was entertaining and informative. We learned about composting toilets, the importance of conserving water in the bathroom, what effect toothpaste has on orangutans, what bathroom item is related to napalm (hint: my husband is now looking into buying a shaving brush), and a lot of other interesting and green facts.

I think that the best part of this show is that it is entertaining. There are well done visual demonstrations that help explain the concepts, and Bill Nye is just a natural teacher. He also doesn't get preachy or try to lay a guilt trip on anyone. He just explains the facts. There are no scare tactics either. It's mentioned that global warming could cause water shortages to increase so conserving water is important, but it's mentioned quickly and without hysteria. 

There aren't many programs that families can all sit down and enjoy together these days. Stuff Happens is one that the whole family can enjoy together. 

The Bathroom episode will air on Tuesday, September 2 ET.

There are 12 episodes scheduled for the fall, all airing on Tuesday nights, that will focus the stuff that happens around a home.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Allison said...

I wish I could watch these but we don't get the green channel. I really like Bill Nye. I remember him as "Bill Nye, The Science Guy" a few years back. I will have to wait and see if they come out on DVD and share them with my kids.