Tuesday, November 18, 2008

(Almost) Giving Up the Green

Don't worry. I'm not giving up green. But I had one of those moments in the grocery store today when I just wanted to throw in the organic towel and head to the pop tart isle. The store that I shop at had a middle of the road type store brand that I thought was a good compromise on some items. Let me give you an example. Their "food you feel good about" pancake syrup is made with 2% real maple syrup, actual sugar instead of high fructose corn syrup, and all natural ingredients. This, I figure is a middle of the road option between the high fructose corn syrup maple flavored with who knows what and high priced real maple syrup. By phasing out this brand, I'm now left with the choice of crappy brown corn syrup or real maple syrup and 8 times the price (and my husband and kids don't like real maple syrup). 

Then I get to the cracker isle, and I decide to look at the ingredients on the box of Triscuits. I've always thought Triscuits were a good choice. Whole wheat, oil, salt. That's it. No sugar, no partially hydrogenated oils. But the oil in Triscuits is palm oil. I've been reading a lot lately about the creation of palm oil is very bad for the planet.

Well, darn it. Sometimes, I just get overwhelmed with it all. I almost headed straight for the pop tarts. But I didn't.

I held off buying syrup. We'll just be syrupless until I decide what to do. I'm thinking this is going to force me to finally just make the rest of my family suck it up and start eating the healthier real syrup.

 I did buy the Triscuits. But I'm going to find out if I can find a better substitute for them before I buy them again. 

Another day in green-land. Still plugging along. Just wanted to let you know if sometimes you feel like throwing in the organic towel, you're not alone. 
Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

CrunchyChristianMama said...

I am finishing up my degree in Human Nutrition before scooting on to a Masters in public health/ food security (emphasis on solutions in urban America). First, it is almost impossible to find quality (affordable foods) without a great deal of time and research.

Palm oil is not only bad for the environment it is actually quite unhealthy. Here is a good link http://www.cspinet.org/new/pdf/palm_oil_final_5-27-05.pdf

In the cereal aisle the other day I made a great discovery. Corn Flakes (Kellogs) contains among other things contrary to good health, high fructose corn syrup. The Kroger brand did not. It had a little more in the calories department, but that can be taken care of by not dousing it in sugar. The best part is that it tasted better and was only $.99 per box! Overall generics aren't any better or worse nutritionally, or tastewise, The best option for any food is knowledge. The product with the least amount of ingredients and processing is the best bet and if you can't pronounce the majority of the ingredients you don't want it.

Love your blog btw. I've been lurking for while now, and have enjoyed joining into the discussion. Keep it up.

GJK said...

Yup. THAT'S what I'm talkin' about, Robin! What to choose? What to choose?

Michelle said...

Thank you for this post! It is SO hard to balance it all! I am glad to know that I am not alone in my struggle between good intentions and reality.