Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Recipe for Sweet Potato Casserole


Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I thought I'd share my sweet potato casserole recipe today, just in case someone is still searching for one. It would be easy to use mostly organic ingredients in this, however, once you see the ingredients you'll realize that it isn't a low fat or low sugar recipe. That's why I only make this once a year.



Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe
  • 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes (prepared without milk or butter)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/4 cups butter (softened)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
topping:
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped pecans
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 tbsp cold butter
Directions:
  1. Beat sweet potatoes, milk, butter, eggs, salt and vanilla until smooth
  2. Transfer to a greased 2 quart baking dish
  3. Combine brown sugar, pecans and flour; cut in butter until crumbly - sprinkle over potato mixture
  4. Bake uncovered at 325 degrees for 40-50 minutes
I usually boil and mash the sweet potatoes the day before Thanksgiving. I put the casserole together Thanksgiving morning and put it in the fridge. I take it out and let it come to room temperature about an hour before the turkey is done. As soon as the turkey comes out of the oven, I pop it in to cook. By the time turkey is carved, regular potatoes are mashed and the table is completely ready to go, I pop it out of the oven. YUM!

If you've posted a favorite Thanksgiving recipe on your website, please put a link to it in the comments.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Janine said...

Looks delicious!

www.cheapcookinmama.blogspot.com