Monday, November 17, 2008

Another Reason Why Banks are Failing

My bank was recently bought out. I don't think it had anything to do with the recent financial hubbub. I think it was an actual regular old buy out that had been in the works for a while. So far, I am highly unimpressed with the new bank. 

I went in to order new checks because with the changeover it wasn't possible to do it online. The kid behind the desk told me that we could just start over from check #1. I said, "Are you sure there won't be a problem with two of the same check number floating around out there even if they were written far apart from each other." He said, "I don't think so." I asked if he would check with a manager. 

Manager comes over and tells me, "Yes, that would be a problem." Doi. (My six year old has started saying doi and even though I haven't said it in at least 20 years, I've decided to add it back into my vocabulary.)

So - Doi!

Today, I finally get the checks. All 50 0f them. Not 250 or how many usually come in an order. 50 of them. But on top of the checks in the box is a pen from the bank wrapped in a far too large plastic box. So I've got a box wrapped plastic wrap that is holding a pen I don't need, the excessive plastic box that held the pen, a new plastic checkbook cover that I don't need and only 50 checks that I do need. And soon, I'll have to reorder because they only gave me 50 checks.

Who is the marketing genius behind this? Banks are failing. I would think they would want to instill confidence in their customers instead of looking stupid. But no, they send me an environmentally unfriendly box of far too few checks. Bad for the environment. Inconvenient for me.

Doi.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cheques. Sorry, checks! How quaint!

I don't remember the last time I wrote a cheque out. In fact, I don't think I could tell you where my cheque book is. They're almost obsolete in the UK, with a lot of stores (including the major supermarkets and petrol stations) no longer accepting them. The utility companies actively encourage you not to use them as well, since it's easier for them to do the transaction electronically.

Robin Shreeves said...

Suitably - I do all of my mother's bill paying for her and she insists on using checks (I do get away with some online that she is unaware of). We have a joint account. She also will not use an ATM so she writes a check to herself every time she needs cash - sometimes two or three a week. She is just unwilling to learn a new method of doing things, and we go through boxes of checks quickly.

I can't complain about it, though. My mom is still really healthy, still has her job at age 75, and is very active with my boys. If she wants to still use checks, she gets to still use checks.