Tuesday, November 25, 2008

My Thanksgiving Menu

I'm having a much smaller than usual Thanksgiving this year, but that doesn't mean I'm going to cook much less than I normally would. The leftovers never go to waste. Here's what will be on my table this year:

Turkey - a free range one from a local farm. I pick it up on Wednesday
Gravy - I cannot make gravy to save my life. My mom always swoops in right before serving the meal and whips it up
Stuffing - my mom and I have this awesome recipe that I'll never reveal the secret for mostly because it's kind of embarrassing
Mashed potatoes - yum
Sweet potato casserole - it's like starting dessert early
Green beans - just green beans - no fried onions or mushroom soup to drown them out
Cranberry sauce - the jellied kind in the can, and I'm not apologizing for it. My six year old will fill his plate with it
Rolls - dinner rolls and cheese stuffed rolls from a local bakery

Pumpkin pie - because it's the law
brownies and assorted cookies 

I'm also serving a Shiraz and a Sauvignon Blanc. Not what I read I should be serving with turkey, but I'd rather drink what I like, not what I'm supposed to.

I think my favorite part of it all is the perfect trio of a little turkey, a little stuffing and a little cranberry sauce all at once on my fork.

What's your favorite part of the Thanksgiving meal?
Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

CrunchyChristianMama said...

I'm cooking for 27 this year! This is the first time in 15 years my husband's whole extended family will be together. My favorite part of the holiday is the games. We have several tables of board and card games set up in the rec room. Ten of the twenty seven people will be under 18 years old. I love the craziness of a house full of children.

Carla said...

Wow, that sounds really good. I am just cooking for myself, my SO and a couple of friends so dinner will be simple, but organic, local, etc.

Robin Shreeves said...

Crunchy - 27 - what fun. I've had that many once. I'm sure you'll be busy in the kitchen all day today.

Carla - enjoy your small Thanksgiving. This is my first small one ever, and it's the right year for not having to go crazy.