Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Green Term of the Week - Green Fatigue

This is the one and only time that I will write this now cliched phrase on this blog, but here it goes. It isn't easy being green. I thought that in light of my close call with a green meltdown at the supermarket yesterday, I'd discuss a condition that has been named green fatigue.

If you do a search for green fatigue, you'll find several definitions. Green fatigue results from consumers being tired of being hit over the head with the green message in the news and by marketing companies. Green fatigue results from having had enough of the world is going to be destroyed by our habits message. Green fatigue results from people being wary of false green claims or "greenwashing."

I'm sure that many consumers get tired of all those things. But that wasn't my problem yesterday. My problem came from just being tired of trying to make the right green decision over and over in a short period of time. The grocery store will do that to you. I shop at a store that has many good options, but it still gets ridiculously paralyzing at times. Do I buy the organic eggs or save a $1 and buy the all natural, free range, unorganic eggs so I can put that dollar towards buying a different green product. It's little decisions like this, one right after the other, that can get to me. 

I suppose it all comes down to commitment. Pretty much like everything else that is important to me in my life. Family, marriage, faith, motherhood - it gets tough at times. And there are moments when I wonder if it's worth it. But those moments are fleeting and so was my green fatigue of yesterday. I'm sure it will return again - most likely at the grocery store. And I'll get all pouty and whiney and then I'll get over it.

Many things about living green aren't really that difficult. But some things are. It's like any thing else worth it in life. If it's important to you, you'll get over the fact that it can be difficult.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: