There will be some definite celebrating on my block when Darryl graduates. Lynn and Corey from Celebrate Green have come up with some ideas for greening a graduation celebration and some eco-friendly gifts for the grad. I just might be able to get an idea for my neighbor from it and you might be able to get ideas for your own graduate.
Giving a graduation party?
- Easy to make it greener by not over buying food and composting leftovers
- using tap water instead of buying bottled
- if you do purchase beverages, buy glass bottles over cans, cans over plastic;
- provide recycling bins
- use reusable plates, cups, utensils and napkins; buy organic and local when possible
Gift green-minded grads with something that appeals to their eco-altruism
- Shares in a socially responsible investment fund
- A Tis Best gift card that allows the graduate to choose from among hundreds of charities to give money to
- A trip via a socially responsible eco-travel organization or a volunteer trip
Other ideas for graduates that will most likely align with their eco-values:
- A digital camera with a reminder to take only photos wherever she travels
- A treefree paper journal and recycled pens
- A gift certificate to a CSA so they will start off their new lives with fresh, local food
- A local coupon book for sustainable items and organic food like this one that is available in six cities around the U.S.
- Books like Making a Lviing While Making a Difference: Conscious Careers for an Era of Interdependence or Green Jobs: A Guide to Eco-Friendly Employment.