Thursday, April 23, 2009

The most infuriating Earth Day press release

Yesterday, I mentioned that I had been sent a press release about organic bottled water. I usually get sent a few press releases every day informing me about different products or organizations that I'm told my readers will be interested in. If I think you actually will be interested in one of them, I'll write about it.

The two weeks leading up to Earth Day saw the number of press releases in my inbox increase exponentially. They came so fast and furiously that I'm sure I missed a few good ones. One that I didn't miss however was the one for Totally Organica bottled water.

At the risk of ticking off the people who make plastic bottles yet again, I'll make this clear. Bottled water is a big environmental problem. It's estimated that about 80% of the bottles never get recycled. Those that do get recycled do not become bottles again. They get
downcycled. It takes all new resources to make the plastic bottles for bottled water.

So when this company came along and spent the majority of their press release talking about how fabulous their plastic bottles are - how eco-chic and modern they are - I was floored.

I've ranted about it over on Mother Nature Network today in my weekly
Thursday food 'nooooo.'
If you'd like to hear my rant hop on over and give it a read.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: