Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Americans are Buying Less Gasoline


According to the Associated Press, gas consumption in America fell 1% in the four weeks preceding April 11. This is attributed, of course, to the soaring gas prices across the nation. One percent doesn't seem like a lot, but I can imagine it's millions and millions of gallons.

It makes me wonder, though. For years, I've heard the argument that the government should raise the price of gas so that Americans would consume less. I have never been a fan of the government legislating something like this. I believe people should be responsible to make the right choices without the government forcing them to. But it's clear that in America, we haven't found it important to make the right choice or, more likely, we haven't thought about it at all. Up until a year ago, I was just as guilty as everyone else. I'm still not fabulous with the gas consumption, but it has decreased significantly in our family.

Are higher gas prices what it's going to take for people to start driving their vehicles in an environmentally responsible way? Or is it just going to hurt those without the money to put gas in their cars to get to work? So many areas in America have poor public transportation systems and some people have no choice but to drive to their job. If prices continue to rise, will public transportation systems be improved?

I don't have any answers to my questions. I certainly am not educated in economics. I didn't do well in the one economics class I took in college. But there is something I do well. I'm great at making lists of ways to be more  green, right?

So, tomorrow, I think I'll do a post on ways to conserve on gasoline and get better milage out of the gasoline you do use. 

Stumble Upon Toolbar

1 comment:

Janine said...

Love your writing and am trying to send more your way from
http://learningaswegrow.wordpress.com/2008/04/22/a-belated-happy-earthday/