Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A Question for My Readers


I know I've got some faithful readers out there. Thank you. I've got a question for you and anyone else reading this blog. I'm going on vacation next week. Our niece is getting married and there will be a mass migration of family members from the east coast out to Arizona for the big event.

Now, I've read comments from bloggers and writers about how they can never really take a vacation. They always have to be writing - especially bloggers. Some are able to write ahead of time and post date. But many say they still need to write everyday or they are going to loose readership.

I was just out to lunch with my husband, and we were talking about this. Should I write posts ahead of time and let them post every morning. Or should I truly take the week off. I've arranged it so I don't have any paying jobs that will be hanging over my head that week. 

Lately, I've been trying to live a lifestyle of NOT keeping up with the Joneses. So I'm wondering, just because all the other bloggers blog while on vacation, does that mean I have to? Just because they say it's impossible to leave work behind, do I have to believe them? Can I risk loosing a few readers if I don't post for a week? Will I actually really loose readers?

Will you forget about me if I go on vacation?

Please let me know your thoughts.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

4 comments:

Unknown said...

There are times when you have to switch off. Anyone subscribed via RSS will still be there when you come back, and any regular readers who visit your site every day will know when you are coming back.

I went away for the weekend at the end of January and there was no real loss of readership. Mind you, I spent the whole weekend thinking "this would be great to blog about!"

If you're really worried about the blog stagnating, why don't you ask a close friend to write guest posts in your absence, maybe from their point of view of watching their buddy go green/mad?

Garden Jabber said...

I say take the week off. Everybody needs a break. You could post a short blurb and inform readers of your vacation days. If they don't understand...they need to talk to someone. LOL. I once had a blogging job that required two posts a day (including weekends). That lasted for about a month.

Telecommuting Diva

Allison said...

You are one of my favs. I will still be here when you get back. Enjoy the heat.

Robin Shreeves said...

Thanks all. I'll give the guest post idea some thought. I have decided that I'm not going to pre-post, but if something strikes me while I'm away and I have the time to jump online, I'll post. But I'm not going to worry about it.

I appreciate the input.