Thursday, April 17, 2008

Swaptree.com


I often get press releases e-mailed to me from marketing companies asking me to mention their website/product/announcement on this blog. Up until now I've just kind of glossed over them, but I've decided to read them carefully and begin passing along the ones I think fit in well with what we're trying to do here.

I got this one today, and since it is about being green about your media (books, cd's, dvd's, etc), I figured I'd pass it on. I've been trying to purchase all of my media used if possible lately, and this is a way to get some it of it in a green and free way.


In honor of Earth Day this Tuesday, Swaptree.com, the website where you can trade the books, DVDs, CDs, and video games you have, for the ones you want, for free, will be donating $1 dollar for every trade made on Earth Day to The Sierra Club.

So if getting a free book, DVD, video game or CD was not enough, now by signing up and doing a trade, you will also be donating to America’s oldest and largest environmental organization on Swaptree’s dime!

One of the main reasons we started Swaptree was to promote the idea that we should all recycle more and throw away less. After all do we really need 20 million copies of each of the Harry Potter books? Can’t we just trade and share a few hundred thousand?

In recent studies, it was estimated that every book contributes 8.85 pounds of carbon dioxide to the atmosphere, while every CD or DVD contributes 2.2 pounds. Furthermore, 100,000 pounds of CDs and DVDs (and their nasty chemicals) are deposited in US landfills every month, while the book industry chops down in excess of 19 million trees yearly. Pretty frightening numbers I am sure you’ll agree. Obviously reducing the consumption of these items would have a positive impact on the environment.

On Swaptree you simply list the items that you have to trade and the items that you want and Swaptree’s two and three-way trade algorithms instantly shows you all of the items you can receive in trade. Swaptree even simplifies the mailing process, by providing you with a perfect postage label that can be printed right from your computer, so you never have to go to the post office.

So there it is is. Check it out or not, but I wanted you to be informed. I think I'll check it out.
Stumble Upon Toolbar

No comments: